At the moment ALRSA is looking at improving animal law on a policy level and looking at potential strategic litigation. This means we are not able to take on every matter relating to animals – although we would love to be able to.
We are also focusing on animal law education and education regarding animal law issues generally, as we believe this is one of the greatest tools we can use to improve the lives of animals.
Some of the Issues ALRSA has been involved with or worked on
- Animal Law Seminar – March 2017
- Assisting with drafting of Animal Protection Amendment Bill (to introduce a ban on cosmetic testing on animals)
- Commenting on the aforementioned Animal Protection Amendment Bill
- Commenting on Draft Cites Regulations released by Government
- Providing comments to government on CITES COP18 Suggestions for the Appendices
- Assisting with the draft Sentience Bill Handed over at the Cape Town Unites for Animals March and supporting the march
- Development of Model Animal Law Curriculum (Ongoing)
- Support Letter to President Cyril Ramaphosa regarding Rhino Poaching